Living Sacrifice

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

One of my favorite Christmas presents so far this year is a heart-felt poem from my friend Emily. Rarely do I get gifts that take so much thought and time. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the things I get for Christmas, but as I get older, I learn more and more to appreciate the ones that take time rather than money. So, I wanted to post Emily's bit of writing because it is something now dear to my heart, and because I feel it is worthy of being posted and shared with anyone who may read.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :)

All along the horizon dimming
her eyes would follow the path of the sun.
Darkness coming, the insects greeting,
camp is made as day is done.

Her fire chases away the night,
chases the cold, with dancing flames.
Then dying embers, as everything fades
and even she, with sleep, is claimed.

So passes the night, in silence drifting
and dreams and nature hold their own.
With changing pictures of stars and colors,
giving way to light with the coming dawn.

Morning is broken, the path is found,
she sets her course for the day to come.
With gear together, and light of step
a last glance around, and then she's gone.

The forest pulses as the mountain sighs,
the wind carries her breath along.
And miles pass, through God's creation,
miles of trail, where she belongs.

The path continues up the mountain,
the edge of a cliff soon under her feet.
And far below, the expanse of green,
the fantastic view is all she seeks.

Her eyes are filled with a spark of light.
Simply watching, for the longest while,
til eventually the trail is calling,
and she heads back down with a smile.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home