Living Sacrifice

Thursday, April 26, 2007

My Search for Beauty

I was out for a walk today when I stumbled upon some doggie imprints in the sidewalk which triggered a few thoughts for me. I started thinking about how the dog prints added character and how, if that were my sidewalk, I would have considered the prints the final and perfect touch to a well-done cement job. This, in turn, made me think about people and how we have things about us that make us unique, things that we might not even necessarily like about ourselves, but things that make us who we are none-the-less, and things that other people might even find quite beautiful because it's part of what makes us who we are. I guess what I'm talking about are our imperfections, and how those imperfections (especially pertaining to our physicality) may not really be imperfections at all. Those dog prints in the sidewalk probably made someone else really mad, but to me, they were fun and beautiful and added livelihood to something not usually so.

So, what I'm trying to say is that I think I discovered a small piece of the puzzle in my search of what beauty really is by learning today what beauty is NOT. Unless talking about God, beauty is NOT perfection. Perfection is boring and unattainable, but imperfection adds life and uniqueness. And I like that.

2 Comments:

  • right on.....good post girl. BTW, Vega especially appreciated it

    By Blogger glenn, at 12:23 PM  

  • Great post! However, at first the word "doggie" jumped out at me and it ran through my mind that, "if she goes on about how doggie doo just completes the sidewalk, we're gonna have to call the men in the little white coats!"

    But honestly, I agree with you. I love the song by Stephen Curtis Chapman - "Fingerprints of God" - that all of the warts, wrinkles, character for goodness sakes, on our faces and bodies do show the fingerprints of God.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home