Living Sacrifice

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Shooting With Peeps Who Have No Vision Is Some Scary Business

Just so you know, the last time I shot a gun, I was probably 10 years old.

That being said, I ventured out tonight with my two friends who have no vision at all and experienced one of the most nervous hours of my life. I think at some points I was shaking. Let me walk you through my hour of death.

For those of you who have never been to a shooting range, this is how it works. You go into the store, get targets, get ear protection for extremely loud bangs, get eye protection (if you don't have glasses already) for flying shells, get some kind of permit card thing, and then you walk into the shooting hall. As you walk along, you are bombarded with loud, sometimes unexpected blasts as other people point guns and blow holes in targets. It's kind of like bowling. You get a lane, take turns, aim, and go. The big difference is you use a ball in bowling and when you shoot you use gun powder and make explosions with metal bullets that have the potential to kill people.

With all that being said, you can see how that right there is enough to make a person who knows next to nothing about shooting a little nervous. Now, add on top of that the fact that I am shooting with 2 guys who can't see and rely on ME to aim them at targets to shoot. Now we have something interesting. I think the best was the shot gun, where after aiming up my guy, they would blast quarter-sized holes into the man-like target, as well as have multiple bb-sized holes to accompany it. Then the "click click" of the pump action....and another blow.

*laugh* I'll just say, it was an experience. One I'm glad I had, but one that I will not soon forget. I can see how men might like to go shooting more than women. I think it's a power thing. A lot of power is held in a gun that can travel at tremendous speeds and fatally wound any animal, including humans.

In all seriousness, though, the whole thing really was a scary experience for me. To know that I held the power of life and death in my hands just about petrified me. To know that one slip could cause a fatal accident, to know that just the flick of a trigger could change my life forever, or someoe else's life forever......It was weird and frightening to hold that much power in my hand. Don't get me wrong, I had fun, but I was certainly glad when our hour was up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home