Living Sacrifice

Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Recently watched the movie "Momento" in my Philosophy 103 class. Pretty crazy stuff. A guy gets hit in the head and gets anterial-grade memory loss (in other words, short-term memory loss). He can remember everything before the accident, but can't really add anything to his memory after the accident because nothing stays in his short-term memory long enough to get it into long-term. The whole movie kind of throws viewers (at least it did me) for a loop and really makes them think about what it truly means to have a personal identity. What does define us.....who we are? Is it our memories? Or conscience? Our physical being? I can't imagine trying to go through life without having any recollection of what I did 5 minutes ago. Life would be complete chaos. How would you decide who you were? All this comes at a great time for me.....a time when I've really been contemplating my future and what I'm going to be doing with my life in the next few years. I'm not really even sure I know who I am....so how do I move on and decide what I want to do with my life? Eric Erikson would probably say that I am still stuck in the "identity verses role confusion" stage of development. I suppose I would agree with him. The problem lies in the fact that I (and many other people) attempt to define myself by worldly standards, trying to find my true identity through personal achievement and accomplishing "stuff." But I don't think I will ever know who I truly am until I find my identity in Christ. If I continue to seek elsewhere, I will only find emptiness (hense my current unhappiness), even if I were to find "success" in this world. I believe that Ecclesiastes says a lot about how everything in the world is meaningless....seems kind of a bitter approach to life, but really, it's true. Nothing really means anything at all without the love of Christ and His sacrifice for us. So, that brings me to this: who am I in Christ? If I really knew, would I be so unhappy with myself? I doubt it. So how do I go about finding myself in Him? "Seek and you will find."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home