Living Sacrifice

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Anothony, the giver

Tonight I had the privilege of meeting up with Anthony, the infamous customer at the Princess 4, and also a friend. :) I haven't seen him for probably 6 months (which isn't unusual for a lot of my friends now, since I was gone for 4), and we had a splendid time. You know, Anthony has such a child-likeness about him.....he's always so much fun and I think brings out the best in people. And he always seems to remind me that I am not here on this earth for my own personal benefit. He really is pretty amazing.

We shared a pretty deep moment tonight, too. Several, really. But one in particular that I hope to remember. While he was talking to me in the parking lot, a song popped in my head that I wanted to share with him (If You Want Me To by Ginny Owens). This song has special meaning to me because it was on a CD given to me by our JV softball coach who knew I had struggled with eating disorders and life in general over my last couple years of high school. He gave me the CD as a graduation present and told me to listen particularly to this song. And, because the song is about staying strong and obedient to God through our struggles and lack of understanding, I thought it might mean something to Anthony, too, since he is moving in a couple weeks to NC and leaving behind his friends and the familiar to a place where he feels God has called him to go.

Anyway, there was a Christian bookstore just across the street from where we were, and so we went over to get the CD, which they just so happened to have (and the lady said it was unusual they would have an old CD like this one on stock). We then headed back to my car and listened to the song. It was just one of those moments you want to be suspended in for a long time.......it was raining, and we were listening to this beautiful song play through the speakers of my car. It definitely brought tears to my eyes......this was the same song I had sobbed to many nights at different periods in my life after my senior year in high school. And I think it touched Anthony, too. I praise God for Ginny Owens and her ability to draw people nearer to the Creator, and I praise God also for setting up everything just right tonight so that Anthony could hear that song and be encouraged.

So, that was pretty much the end of our evening. We hugged in the rain for a long time (since rainy hugs are the best kind, you know) and decided we should try to meet one more time before he leaves so that I can get a picture of him and so he can give me one of his crazy stories (this one is about the manitees of doom). *laugh* I'm def going to miss him.

2 Comments:

  • Kimmy, Jim Johnson here - from Florida, friend of Vir - you remember??! First time visiting your blog, and I was struck by your comments about Ginny Owens' song. I also absolutely love it. I think it means so many different things to each person who hears it. When I first heard it, my mother was battling cancer, and I imagined her feeling so alone and scared during treatments, and this song really spoke to me. Reminded me that God was with her no matter what. I bought her the CD and specifically told her to listen to that song, and she loved it as well.

    I pray your job search is successful!
    Jim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:10 AM  

  • Hey Jim!

    So great to hear from you!! Of course I remember you. :) Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your encouragement, and thanks for the prayers. I feel I am getting closer to finding a job, it's just a long process that I am having trouble finding patience for. And I am also realizing there are a lot more issues going on with me right now than just the actual job searching. I may blog about that sometime soon.

    But anyway, thanks again for commenting. You know, you should think about starting a blog.... :) I'm sure you would have wonderful things to add to the blog world. You have so many great experiences over your life I am sure, and many that happen on a daily basis, that could encourage and touch people. Think about it..... :)

    *hug* Take care, and stay cool down there!

    By Blogger Kimmy, at 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home