Living Sacrifice

Sunday, April 04, 2004

Recently been contemplating a Biblical reaction to being attacked.....sounds kind of strange, but really....what would I do if someone attacked me? Tried to beat me? Held a gun to my head? Biblically...how are we, as Christians, supposed to react? The first thing I think of is Christ....who preached love and compassion. Would he fight back? Doesn't seem like it, since he took a lot of abuse. Or Paul, who appears to have done the same thing...take punishment for his faith without retaliation. And, other instances that pop into my head are the several times Jesus ran away to different cities when he knew there were plots to kill him because it was not his time yet. He ran away.......But, then again, Paul and Jesus were both suffering for their faith. What if someone was just plain attacking me?

Wow, so many thoughts rushing in my head right now. One is a story I read in a book by Neil Anderson called "The Bondage Breaker." He told of how he was in a counseling session with a woman much larger than himself when suddenly she came rushing at him and was about to attack him....however, all he did was tell Satan to be bound to the chair in the name of Jesus, and the woman stopped dead in her tracks and walked back to her chair and sat down!! Crazy stuff. Power of faith....and wisdom in knowing how to handle certain situations.
So, if someone is holding a gun to my head, do I pray? Do I punch them? Do I tell them God loves them anyway? Do I pull a gun out in defense? By the way, all this thinking came about last night when I had a conversation with Murle....we were discussing the new gun laws in Ohio, where as of April 8th, it will be legal (with training) to carry a concealed weapon. In my opinion, it's a horrible law, but Murle thinks it's good (and I respect his opinion and could see where he was coming from). But I still don't agree with it...we just kind of agreed to disagree. Right now, if someone pulled a gun on me, I don't feel like the right thing to do would be to whip out a gun and shoot in defense. My argument was this: I'm a Christian and I know my place is waiting for me in heaven....so I'd rather die and be with my Father than shoot someone who is most likely not a Christian and end any chance they could ever have at being saved (basically, dooming them to Hell). If they shoot me, there's still a chance they could find God's love and redemption....but certainly not if I shoot them. Hmmmm......I don't know. And maybe I won't know unless I am in that situation sometime (which I hope I won't be). Anyone have some ideas on this? Biblical perspectives? Personal opinions? I'd be interested to hear them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home