Living Sacrifice

Monday, June 05, 2006

Dun dun dun!!!.....the WHITES

Wow, internet access again so soon. This is very unusual, but nice. A couple updates since I was last on here.

1. I saw another bear. Pretty sweet. It crossed the trail right in front of me the day before yesterday. It really must have been 20-30 feet from me.

2. When I was walking thru Hanover to the grocery store, a lady stopped and offered me a shower. I told her I already had a shower, but asked her if she knew a place where I could stay in town for the night. Naturally, she was more than happy to offer me their guest bedroom, and since I was hard-up for a place to stay, I accepted. That's some major trail magic right there. I didn't want to leave town, but there was no hostel or anything, so I was probably going to have to hike out to the next shelter (it was rainy and yucky) if she hadn't offered. Awesome. It was a great stay.

3. Woody Crow's brother attends Dartmouth, and so he took us out to dinner at Molly's and I ate like a queen. He even paid. Yesssss. More trail magic. I'm telling you, I don't think I could do this trip without all the help I've had from people. It's been amazing. Trail angels, they call them out here. :)

4. I am at a hostel just off the trail, ready to hit the Whites today. I'm a little scared.....everyone makes the Whites sound hard, and I think they are pretty challenging. Lots of large climbs up and down, big mountains, above tree-line stuff. I will probably hit snow again at some points. Ew. And the rocks are still going to be wet from all the rain...and I think it's supposed to rain some more. :( Let's just say I'll be glad to see Maine come around, though once the weather clears up, I'm sure the Whites will be amazing.

OK, I better go. Bleach and Woody Crow are here, and I think we are all antsy to get started. Our day starts with fording a possible "dangerous river" when water levels are high (and we've had a lot of rain)......yes, this is my life. Crossing streams and climbing mountains. Isn't it great?? I know you wish you were out here. :)

OK, White Mountains, I am coming to conquer you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home