Living Sacrifice

Monday, February 23, 2004

Wow, this week = craziness at the Princess 4. What at first appeared to be a total stab in the dark for Mel Gibson may turn out to be one of the biggest films we’ve seen come out in a while (for a little info on the film, check out http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/24/movies/oscars/24BERN.html?ex=1078203600&en=5dedbbe7f5ab417a&ei=5040&partner=MOREOVER . And yes, it mentions Memento, so it can’t be that bad of a movie….). Of course, I’m talking about The Passion of the Christ, which comes out officially on Wednesday. I was supposed to be viewing the film right about now, but because of a problem with stolen films, I will not be able to view it early after all. This, of course, is disappointing, but it gives me an excuse to wait until Friday to see it for the first time with my boyfriend. After that, I’m sure I will view it several more times for free at the good ol’ Princess.

But anyway, it’s been crazy. It’s phone call after phone call, and people coming in to ask questions. Tonight, a guy came in to ask for show times, and at the end of the conversation, he asked me if I like challenges. I said sure, so he handed me a little riddle card and had me participate. It was kind of fun, and so I asked him why he handed this kind of stuff out to people. He said “Oh, it’s just for fun. There’s another one on the back, too” or something along those lines, and then left before I could say much else. Needless to say, there was a riddle on the back that involved a Bible verse, and then at the bottom of the card was a website, and I didn’t notice either until the man had disappeared. Man, I just don’t know about stuff like that. I mean, I think outreach is great, but I think about how much more it would have meant to me had this guy actually introduced himself, asked my name, asked about my life…..SHOWED God’s love by caring to listen. I would have loved to ask him questions: like “When did you become a Christian? How do you fight temptation? What amazing things has Christ done for you? How can I pray for you as a sister in Christ?” But instead, I was left standing there with a riddle card, a Bible verse, and a website. Man how I wish I could talk to that guy and say, “Hey, all you really have to do is show love to people….genuine love……and God will take it from there. Cards don’t do that….God does it through people who follow Him.” I just felt a little ripped off somehow. If he was a true brother in Christ (which I’m not denying that he was), I want to be able to connect with him….hear his story….share our common faith. I certainly don’t want to be stuck with a card that questions whether I am going to heaven or not.

Anyway, if I get anymore cards like that, I’m going to stop right there and say, “Do you think a card is the best way to demonstrate the most ultimate love available? A card is a little limiting, isn’t it?” And I won’t be running away like the guy did today.

I can see this movie is going to stir things up, not just in the secular world, but among Christians and inside people’s hearts, including my own. It’s going to cause me to question, to search, to wonder, to desire deeper understanding. It’s not called “The Passion of the Christ” for nothing. As far as cards go, I don’t think you can show a lot of passion through a small piece of cardboard. I think it’s going to be other Christians that stir me more than anything.

I can really imagine all the crazy Christian people reeking havoc in the theaters this week. Man, if things get out of hand on Saturday, I’m just going to stand on a stool and say, “Look. I’m assuming that most of you seeing this movie are Christians. Therefore, you should be one of the most understanding audiences ever rather than a mob of impatient people. You’re representing Christ….so start acting like it! It’s easy to talk the talk…start walking it.” And that should shut them up. Hehe Yeah, I can see myself really doing that. lol

I’m sure I’ll have more on this later, especially after I’ve seen the movie. For now, I’m going to take my thoughts to bed with me. Nite, world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home