Living Sacrifice

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

OK, so I've really been thinking a lot about this summer internship. I interviewed on Friday, and I got the job (don't get excited....it's volunteer). It sounds like it's going to be pretty intense...it's called the "Rape Crisis" program, and so I will actually be dealing with people who have been raped.....meeting with them at the hospital, taking calls from them, going to the police station with them, etc. I think it will all be pretty overwhelming and maybe even scary, but at the same time, I'm excited to get to help these people....to offer whatever I can. Prayer, encouragement, support...whatever it may be. BUT.....here's my dilema. Sometimes, rape crisis victims may become pregnant, and (as an advocate) I am supposed to supply them with all options available and let them make their own decisions without giving my opinions to sway them one way or the other (this is a social work term called "Self-determination"). So, if pregnancy becomes an issue in any of the situations, I am supposed to refer the person to "Planned Parenthood." If you know anything about Planned Parenthood, they certainly offer all options, one of those being abortion. So....what do I do about that? One part of me says, "You can't force your beliefs or opinions on them, so you need to let them make their own decision" while the other part says, "Kim, you don't support abortion...so should you be sending them to a place that offers that as an option? No..." So I'm kind of torn. I've realy been lookinf forward to this internship....for the experience, in depth training, to help me get a job later (this kind of experience is great for resumes), and to be able to help people. It's hard for me to think of giving it up...after the interview and kind of planning some of my summer around it. I don't really know what to do. I guess I could look for another internship, but I don't know that I'll be able to find one.

I guess it comes down to me trusting God to provide for me. I really do need some experience in this field in order to get a good job and just get my hands dirty to understand what I'll be getting into later in my life. If I give this up for Him, then there must be something greater, right? Or do I really need to give it up at all? I don't know........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home