Living Sacrifice

Sunday, January 08, 2006

.

"But aren't you afraid of bears?"

I find it kind of funny that most people's initial reaction to me hiking the Appalachian Trail has something to do with being afraid of bears. OK, bears ARE some kind of threat to hikers, but really, it's only if you aren't smart and taking precautions. I think this is just another example of how we let fears limit and dictate what we can and can't do. People are afraid of bears, so they won't go hiking. People are afraid of failing, so they won't try challenging things. People are afraid of crime, and so they won't venture out much. I could go on and on. Fear stinks. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying to just do everything that is dangerous. But there is certainly a difference between being "wise" and being "fearful."

So, to ease the fear of my fellow blog readers and to give a little info that you might not (or might) know:

-There are no grizzlies on the Appalachian Trail. Only blackbears, which is good, because they are less aggressive than grizzlies.
-According to The Appalachian Trail Hiker (Logue and Logue, 2004) black bears are mostly shy and rarely inflict injuries.
-Hanging food and smellables in a tree far from camp will most likely keep any bears away from you
-if approached by a black bear, look as big as possible and make noise. They will probably leave. Never run away.
-Throwing stones if necessary will also probably get a bear to leave

So, there you go. Now you know that I will be safe and sound because I will be wise with my food and enjoy my animal encounters. :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home