Living Sacrifice

Monday, February 27, 2006

Friday Night

So Friday night........I thought it went well, considering that we had a haunted sound board and I was extremely nervous. Christi and Justin both did amazing (thanks so much!!!), and Glenn was a life-saver running the sound board. Everyone was so willing to pitch in and help, too, so we had the stuff set up and tore down in no time. So many of my friends from over the years here in Oxford came to see me play, and it meant a lot. Little Lace even came, and she acted like she really wanted to be there. That made me feel really loved. And Doug......well......he got me to sing "No Scrubs" at the end in front of everyone, which I hadn't planned on doing..... *laugh* It was funny. I'm told there were people dancing over by the windows. Sweet.

So I ask myself: what did I learn? Well, 2 things I think. 1: I don't think that playing in front of people is worth all the nervousness I go through, so I either need to never play in front of people again or figure out how not to be nervous (probably the former) and 2. It is better to play songs the audience knows and/or that are upbeat rather than songs that have a significant meaning to me or something. "Crowd pleasers" are important in getting the audience into the music, and I mostly picked songs that no one knew or were slower. I like songs mostly because of their lyrics, but when you play in front of people, I'm sure they must mostly pay attention to the music rather than the lyrics. So....that's an important lesson for me. Which, for me, takes away from the desire to perform, because I don't want it to really be about "pleasing" the crowd. I want music to be from my heart. So, I might just stick to writing and recording songs every once-in-a-while for friends and family as I have done in the past. I think that's what I enjoy most, because then the music and lyrics mean something to the person, and they mean something to me, too.

While I was home for a very brief moment tonight, Mom showed me some pics she took during and after the show. Some of them are pretty darn sweet, and I plan on posting some when I get them downloaded from my mom. :)

1 Comments:

  • kim,
    you did great. thats all i have to say about that. it was a fun night. pretty sweet that your family was there and your friends. it was fun playing with you. don't get discourage about people wanting upbeat songs. all those bands out there play music that they want to play and not what is pleasing to the crowd. fans will enjoy whatever song you play. i love every DMB song that they create, some are slow and some are fast. its more with the lyrics then anything but a lot is the music too. it has to be both.

    J

    By Blogger Justin, at 4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home