Living Sacrifice

Sunday, December 12, 2004

I had forgotten about the sweet feeling in the element of surprise until tonight. Let me tell you about my most amazing evening.

I went into work at 5pm and, like any other night, Doug told me the run-down of the evening....what I should be prepared for, random things I should know, etc. I was helping stock up some candy when the other manager came in. I didn't think much of it, because he works with me sometimes on Saturday nights, but then suddenly, Doug says "ok, let's go. I'm taking you out for your Christmas present." At first, I didn't believe him, but when I realized he wasn't joking, I could hardly contain myself. I came in for a CRAZY night of peeps seeing Ocean's Twelve, and instead I was swept off my feet and into my boss's car for a night of awesomeness.

So, first, we drive to Cincinnati and meet his girlfriend for dinner, which was cool. But it gets way better. We then drive downtown and park in a garage and walk a couple blocks. At this point, I still have no idea where we are going. We end up at Taft Theater, where I see a sign for "Over the Rhine." I started jumping around. *laugh* I was so excited. We watched the most amazing show, and I got to sit on the stage with Mrs. Shaina Horner during a break, hearing about her latest pregnancy adventures, and I also saw Kevin and Tracy Rains as well as some other peeps with whom I'm a little less familiar.

Needless to say, the night rocked my world. Over the Rhine is an incredible band that somehow incorporates their faith into their music while still being real and relating to a completely diverse crowd. I got to hang out with my boss and his girlfriend, finally see his apartment and meet his roommate, watch Doug almost hit a pedestrian and then later another car almost hit him, talk about life, and so many other things that happened tonight. I know I'm not doing a very good job describing it, but I'm still in shock a little. I went to work at 5 and ended up in Cincinnati listening to some fantastic jazzy, clubby kind of music with two really awesome people. I couldn't have asked for a better night. I'm so happy right now. And I think that the music tonight really inspired me to start writing music from my heart, stuff that truly means something to me rather than what caters to the crowd or anyone else, for that matter. I love music, I love people, and I love God, and there isn't a better combination. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home